Monday, June 21, 2010

We're at it again......

Once again we have to take a stance against the powers that be forcing their views and ideals down our throats. Apparently there's talk of doubling the cost for liquor licenses and taking other measures to 'change the drinking culture' in our area. To me this reads as 'how can we run even more business out of the area and make sure people don't partake in things we look down our noses at'. This may be a bit of a stretch but I doubt it. Drinking is legal, being in a bar is legal. Leave it alone. We all know drinking way too much is a bad thing and I don't think the laws are tough enough on these folks that have several DUI's. That being said, I lost the love of my life to drinking and driving. If anyone should have a stance on drunk driving it would be me. But he made the choice to drink more than he could handle(with the encouragement of several of his so called friends) and paid the ultimate price. My son and I will be forever changed because of it and will never stop feeling a major sense of loss.
Still I believe that it all boils down to personal choice with a large emphasis on personal responsibility. More and more these days we have a group of 'know it alls' trying to tell everyone how to live their lives. Too many of our personal freedoms are being taken away little by little and we don't even know it. They're trying to create a Stepford culture by taking away personal choice one little thing at a time. We're headed towards a prohibition and trust me the holier than thous are gearing up to make it happen. Most of them are pretty sneaky about their intent also. Why do you think every few years they shave a little off of the legal limit of alcohol? Because they know people won't go for a huge drop, but a little here a little there, and all of a sudden a sniff of wine and you're going to jail.

3 comments:

Eva Marie said...

Hey - Just me!! include who you are or at least what county you're from....thank you!!!

Eva Marie said...

oh...and yes, personal choice ROCKS

Unknown said...

Yes, personal choice rocks (along with personal responsibility of course) And I agree with Just Me (condolences on your loss), Driving liquor businesses out of town will not solve a 'culture of drinking' problem. That is definitely a head in the sand approach. This Blog is a great idea. Although I don't live in rural Wisconsin the problems are universal. I will follow with interest.